Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Down With Election Day!


For me this morning it took me less than 5 minutes to vote at 9:00am this morning.  But there are people who actually wait hours.  In all honesty, I live in New York, my vote here for president doesn't really matter.  The only thing these days I'll wait over an hour for is gas.  If I saw anything more than a 45 minute line to vote, I'm turning around and leaving.

I love Election Night coverage and not because it's just another excuse to "Event Drink."  It's just a highly entertaining night.  But what if instead of one day to cast your vote, polling places were open all week?  There'd be virtually no lines to vote, networks can run a nightly two hour show in prime time every night and it would give retired old people something to do for a full week!  Not only that but couldn't you see that actually getting a better representation of voters?  If people see election results unfold over the course of multiple days and it's not going the way they want it to go it might push them to their polling places.  As much as people push to get people to vote there is still a strong "my vote doesn't matter anyway" sentiment.

I'm sure there are hundreds of ways this idea could be knocked down but it was just a quick thought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment