Two years ago my counterpart on this blog wrote his Christmas Song list. I didn't want to be redundant that year so I sat and I waited two whole years to unveil my Top 10 Christmas Songs.
10. Christmas Is the Time to Say "I Love You" - Billy Squier
I'm fine with traditional Christmas songs but when I'm driving around looking at Christmas lights or drinking egg nog with family and friends I like my Christmas songs upbeat and fun. This song is most certainly that.
9. 2000 Miles - Pretenders
Though not intended as a Christmas song, it's only played at Christmas time and I love it. If you are going to have "Christmastime" as a lyric in a song, it's going to become a Christmas song.
8. Do They Know It's Christmas? - Band Aid
For tonight thank God it's them instead of meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Nuff said.
7. Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee
A classic Christmas party song that no one should ever try to cover. It's perfect just like this.
6. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings - Barenaked Ladies (with Sarah McLachlan)
We Three Kings is my favorite traditional Christmas carol. Barenaked Ladies covered it in a way that you can put it on a Christmas Party mix without bringing down the mood while respecting the integrity of the carol.
5. It's The Most Wonderful Time of The Year - Andy Williams
This song immediately makes me want to throw on a Santa hat and skip around my house while whipping strands of garland around like a rhythmic gymnast. One thing I don't relate to in this song is telling scary ghost stories at Christmas time. To each their own though.
4. Christmas All Over Again - Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers
See my blurb for #10. Except this song it better.
3. Thanks For Christmas - XTC
One of the most underrated Christmas songs out there. I wish it got more play. It says everything I feel about Christmas.
2. What Christmas Means to Me - Stevie Wonder
I tend to sing this one louder than any other Christmas song when I'm alone in my car. I wish it was longer.
1. Father Christmas - The Kinks
This song doesn't conjure up warm and fuzzy Christmas feelings but I only listen to it at Christmas song and it's still amazing.