Friday, December 20, 2013

My Incredibly Fantastic Favorite Christmas Song List

Two years ago my counterpart on this blog wrote his Christmas Song list.  I didn't want to be redundant that year so I sat and I waited two whole years to unveil my Top 10 Christmas Songs.

10. Christmas Is the Time to Say "I Love You" - Billy Squier
I'm fine with traditional Christmas songs but when I'm driving around looking at Christmas lights or drinking egg nog with family and friends I like my Christmas songs upbeat and fun.  This song is most certainly that.


9. 2000 Miles - Pretenders
Though not intended as a Christmas song, it's only played at Christmas time and I love it. If you are going to have "Christmastime" as a lyric in a song, it's going to become a Christmas song.


8. Do They Know It's Christmas? - Band Aid
For tonight thank God it's them instead of meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!  Nuff said.


7. Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee
A classic Christmas party song that no one should ever try to cover.  It's perfect just like this.


6. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings - Barenaked Ladies (with Sarah McLachlan) We Three Kings is my favorite traditional Christmas carol.  Barenaked Ladies covered it in a way that you can put it on a Christmas Party mix without bringing down the mood while respecting the integrity of the carol.


5. It's The Most Wonderful Time of The Year - Andy Williams
This song immediately makes me want to throw on a Santa hat and skip around my house while whipping strands of garland around like a rhythmic gymnast.  One thing I don't relate to in this song is telling scary ghost stories at Christmas time.  To each their own though.

4. Christmas All Over Again - Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers
See my blurb for #10.  Except this song it better.
 

3. Thanks For Christmas - XTC
One of the most underrated Christmas songs out there.  I wish it got more play.  It says everything I feel about Christmas.

2. What Christmas Means to Me - Stevie Wonder
I tend to sing this one louder than any other Christmas song when I'm alone in my car.  I wish it was longer.

1. Father Christmas - The Kinks
This song doesn't conjure up warm and fuzzy Christmas feelings but I only listen to it at Christmas song and it's still amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment