Wednesday, February 4, 2015

My 2015 Newport Folk Festival Bingo Card



Yesterday the Newport Folk Festival started rolling out their lineup for this year which means it's time to unveil my Folk Bingo card.  For those who don't know, the Folk Bingo card is just some guesses, hopes and dreams of people who might be playing this year.

My strategy is as follows:

-Every year there are usually a few repeats from the previous year.  Last year it was Houndmouth and Shovels and Rope.  This year my guesses are Lucius and Dawes.

-John McCauley, Jim James and Colin Meloy are going to be involved in one way or another most years.  I almost put Diamond Rugs on there but opted not to.  My Morning Jacket and Decemberists both have new albums out this year so I think they'll be back.  Since I guessed Jim James and Taylor Goldsmith to be there....

-If there is a super group that would be perfect for the Folk Fest(i.e., New Multitudes 2012) they'd be a good guess along with their primary bands.  This year, I can't see how The New Basement Tapes aren't there. I've seen MMJ, Dawes and Rihannon Giddens on the festival circuit so they seem like a good bet.  Elvis Costello has played Newport before so he's family.  Marcus Mumford would be the wildcard.  Mumford and Sons would be an ideal headliner.

-Public radio station influences.  Last year I was hearing Take Me To Church on WFUV a lot prior to the festival.  I didn't put Hozier on my Folk Bingo card but this year I'm taking some cues from them among other public radio stations.  This year's have been Field Report, Elle King and Angel Olsen. (I heard Courtney Barnett on WFUV this morning)

-Hopes and Dreams.  My Morning Jacket is my favorite band so I wish they were there every year, Father John Misty is amazing live and the Deer Tick/Lucius conflict broke my heart last year so I want another crack at Lucius.

-Fill out the remaining boxes with Folk Fest Family.  The Lone Bellow, Apache Relay, Frank Turner, Seth Avett.

I was 3 out of 24 last year so I obviously know what I'm doing.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment