Monday, January 9, 2012

Easy formula often neglected

I'm on my way out to dinner with the wife and son and for the unteenth time we are going to the Pop Shop in Collingswood, NJ. If I sound disappointed, I'm not. This place is kid friendly, has over 30 types of grilled cheese, great salads and sandwiches and sundaes galore for reasonable prices. I'm always amazed that we can go out for a meal there, eat a ton of good food, and spend less than $30. As other local restaurants in my area struggle, I wonder why they often go upscale cuisine when so few places like the Pop Shop exist.

The same can be said for bars, probably more so. The local drinking franchise of choice is PJ Whelihans. They have 7 locations, all of them with beer specials all day every day, and great bar food for reasonable prices. With flat screen TV's everywhere, it's hard to deviate from a place like this on game day. Yet, so few bars try to duplicate this. If I had a dollar for every time I walked into another bar and was told they didn't have any dink specials, I had have an undetermined amount of money. Point is, the formula is easy, but it's often neglected.

Side note, PJs doesn't have a jukebox so it's not perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment